There are several nutritional guidelines that can help keep your cardiovascular system healthy for years to come.
Reduce the amount of animal fat in your diet
It has long been proven that pork and lamb are contraindicated for consumption, even for those people who do not have any health problems. This fatty meat is best replaced with chicken, turkey or lean fish.
Such a replacement will reduce the intake of harmful cholesterol in the body, help avoid the formation of cholesterol plaques and blockages of blood vessels, so that a heart attack, stroke and other problems with the cardiovascular system will not be terrible for you.
Seafood at least once a week
According to numerous studies conducted at Harvard University, regular consumption of seafood (especially fish) helps to reduce mortality from diseases of the cardiovascular system by about 40%, and overall by almost 20%.
A similar effect is due to the fact that seafood contains a large amount of omega-3 fatty acids, which well strengthen blood vessels, heart muscle and reduce the level of bad cholesterol in the body. Interestingly, medications containing omega-3s do not have such a significant effect.
Every day – fruits and vegetables
Fruits, vegetables and berries have tremendous benefits for the whole body. But their use should be deliberate and oriented towards seasonality. The modern cultivation of vegetables and fruits in the off-season for them is accompanied by the use of substances that practically do not carry any benefits to human health.
Therefore, in winter, it is better to buy frozen vegetables and fruits or purchase them from trusted sellers.
The most healthy fruits and vegetables:
- Bananas are high in heart-healthy potassium and are essential foods for people suffering from hypertension and other cardiovascular diseases.
- Pomegranates are an excellent product for heart disease, it has a beneficial effect on blood formation, strengthens blood vessels, heart muscle, and improves immunity.
- Tomatoes – just like bananas, are saturated with potassium, therefore, they normalize blood pressure, improve heart function (but not in canned or salted form).
- Kalina is one of the best folk remedies for the prevention and treatment of cardiovascular diseases, it works better than many fortifying medications, normalizes blood pressure, strengthens the heart, and cleans blood vessels.
Include healthy starch sources in your diet
By giving preference to whole grains, as well as cereals and durum wheat products, you enrich your body with a sufficient amount of healthy starch and fiber. They help to normalize blood pressure, improve the functioning of the heart muscle, and reduce the amount of carbohydrates entering the body.
The diet should include:
- whole grain flour;
- muesli high in fiber;
- whole flour pasta and pasta;
- unprocessed oat kernels;
- brown rice
It is necessary to exclude from the menu:
- refined flour;
- White bread;
- semi-finished wafers (frozen);
- egg noodles;
- fatty snacks;
- semi-finished bread (for quick cooking);
- pies, cakes, donuts, popcorn and other flour and sweet products.
Fermented milk products contain the amount of calcium that a person needs. However, it is worth choosing not too fatty varieties (no more than 3% fat), so as not to harm the body. You should not consume pure milk, even if you are doing well with lactose absorption.
Sour cream and cream can also be eaten, but only as a thermally processed component of other dishes (for example, when stewing or baking fish or meat, as a hot sauce).
A large amount of salt has a negative effect on the condition of the heart and blood vessels. The daily salt intake will depend on the individual characteristics of the patient’s body. Usually the amount varies between 3-5 grams (no more than one teaspoon per day).
Periodically, you need to dilute your diet with dishes from legumes. All kinds of peas, beans and lentils are best suited for consumption. They are rich sources of potassium, fiber, iron and flavonoids, which strengthen the heart muscle, tone and elasticize blood vessels, and normalize blood pressure.
Do not forget that when consuming a large amount of fiber, you need to drink enough water so as not to disrupt the functioning of the digestive tract.